JOB TITLE: QC/QA Laboratory Technician
LOCATION: Primary location Murfreesboro TN. Additional Facilities in Nashville and Franklin TN
REPORTS TO: Head Brewer
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Salary
EXTERNAL POSTING DATES: 7-28 to 8-11
Life is Brewing is looking for a quizzical mind, a seeker, a QC/QA lab tech that envelopes the mindset of Life is Brewing.
The perfect Lab Tech will work collaboratively with the Head Brewer to produce high quality product with efficiency for our three brands; Mantra Artisan Ales, Steel Barrel Brewing Co. and Humulus Project at our two locations. The Steel Barrel location is a state of the art brewing campus on an 84 acre property designed around fermentation science. You will be working with MTSU’s Fermentation science program daily as they have an onsite facility at our location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collection and management of samples according to the sampling plan.
• Preparation of stock solutions and media / inoculating and incubating samples.
• Developing new microbiological approaches / microbiological troubleshooting.
• Maintenance of all laboratory data.
• SOP development and maintenance.
• Cleaning and decontamination of the laboratory.
• Helping as required to maintain all quality standards within the laboratory.
• Help the head brewer manage brewery operations of our 60BBL brew system crafting 12k+ BBLS per year.
• Lead, manage, and schedule the propagation of yeast as needed.
• Effectively represent Beer Production in weekly cross department meetings regarding Quality and Production.
• Advocates a continuous improvement culture throughout his/her team.
• Holds self and brewers accountable for adhering to SOPs and maintaining a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment.
• Facilitates future growth of the brewery through continuous optimization of current processes.
• Assists in implementation of new equipment and processes.
• Works with senior management on new product development initiatives.
• Maintain brewing, cellaring, filtration, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
• Provide hands on relief of all positions as necessary.
• Help in the creation of research projects in collaboration with MTSU staff.
REQUIRED SOFTWARE/HARDWARE USED:
• MS Office products; including Excel, Word, and Power Point a must.
• Windows 10 OS.
• Orchestrated Beer.
• Drop Box and Teamwork experience a plus.
THE ULTIMATE CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
• Bachelor degree in microbiology, biology or another relevant field.
• Post graduate experience desirable.
• Experience in a food or beverage based field is desirable.
• Experienced in microbiological techniques (cultural and molecular).
• Understanding of the microbiology of food and beverage organisms, especially yeast.
• Evidence of working with good laboratory practice.
• Must be fastidious and incredibly clean.
• Able to work efficiently and with incredible attention to detail.
• Strong mechanical and problem-solving aptitude a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to work unsupervised and manage your own time and the time of others effectively
• Focus on quality and consistency of finished product
• Work is at Mantra Artisan Ales until our new facility is operational in September afterwards work is primarily performed at Hop Springs in Murfreesboro. With occasional trips to Mantra Artisan Ales and the future brewpub in Nashville.
• Occasional travel required.
• May be asked to attend beer fests and must be able to help setup and break down.
• Must be able to pick-up 55lbs and possibly stand for long periods. Immediately
PLEASE APPLY HERE:
If you are interested in this position please supply a resume (bonus for graphically pleasing resume’s), personalized cover letter, AND portfolio to email@example.com with the header “Make me the next QC/QA Laboratory Technician”. If you do not follow those specific instructions, you will not be considered for the position.
ABOUT LIFE IS BREWING
Life is Brewing is a team of skilled hyper gregarious beer professionals that own Mantra Artisan Ales, Steel Barrel Brewing Co, Humulus Project and Hop Springs Farm. We are expanding with a new brewery in Murfreesboro TN and a brewpub in Nashville TN. We currently operate an existing location in Franklin TN. Life is brewing has expanded at a 300% clip each year from its inception with continued expected growth for the next 3 years.
Steel Barrel Brewing Co is a new 60 bbl fully automated 5 vessel brewery that broke ground in the spring of 2017 with an estimated date of completion in September of this year. The new facility is the largest craft brewery in the state of Tennessee.
Mantra Artisan Ales is a collaboration with COO Derrick Morse and Celebrity Chef Maneet Chauhan. We are focused on flavor and the culinary aspect of brewing. With beers like, Saffron IPA, Japa (a milk chai stout), and Cassis (a whiskey barrel-aged Flanders style red on tart cherries and black currant). Mantra is focused on brewing with unique ingredients to develop full flavored brews. Most of Mantra’s clean beer production will be moved to Steel Barrel’s facility with all the spontaneous and wild beers being produced in Franklin.
Hop Springs is an 84 acre farm that will have an 8 acre hop field, 18 hole disc golf course, amphitheater, taproom, orchard, mountain bike trail, wedding venue, cabins, and of course a brewery.